Verisk, wood Mackenzie are the global research, analytics, and consultancy business powering the natural resources industry. For 50 years, we have been providing the quality data, analytics, and insights our customers rely on to inspire their decision making. Our dedicated oil, gas & LNG, power & renewables, chemicals, metals & mining sector teams are located around the world and deliver a variety of projects based on our assessment and valuation of thousands of individual assets, companies, and economic indicators such as market supply, demand, and price trends. We have over 1,900 employees in 30 locations, serving customers in nearly 80 countries. Together, we inspire and innovate the markets we serve – providing invaluable intelligence to help our customers overcome the toughest challenges, and make strategic decisions that will, ultimately, accelerate the world’s transition to a more sustainable future.
A Japan power market associate is needed to join our vibrant and growing team in Tokyo at Wood Mackenzie Verisk Power & Renewables. You will swiftly contribute to our power market analysis and research in Asia Pacific with a focus on the Japan market as a part of a global team of power and renewables professionals. Success in this occupation will depend on having strong data and analytical abilities as well as a desire to take up new skills.
You will also participate in and independently create outstanding, insightful studies, publications, and presentations to affect clients’ business decisions, with guidance and reasonable editorial help from the senior research analyst. You will have the chance to establish and maintain relationships with a variety of professionals in the fields of electrical power and renewable energy, battery storage, hydrogen, ammonia, coal, and gas. Furthermore, you will frequently assist in the successful completion of consulting projects by working together closely with the Energy Transition consulting team while being instructed by a supervisor or senior professionals. You will gain a thorough awareness of the dynamics of the Japanese and Asia-Pacific power markets, enabling you to converse intelligently with clients and coworkers about current events and their ramifications. This includes collecting market data as required for carrying out tasks which may be quantitative or qualitative that the supervisor or senior content leaders have assigned.
You will continually grow your network to understand the important issues and challenges facing the company and integrate most current concepts into power planning and research generates through research trips, client conferences, and industry events.
Main Responsibilities in Verisk
• Basic market analysis, that involves tracking and evaluating data, rules and regulations, and industry news in Japan’s power sector in addition to staying apprised of globally trends in renewable energy and electrical power.
• Working with a team to improve power cost and projections for the market while learning and updating power dispatch models.
• Facilitating client questions, meetings, events, and other requests through offering high-impact and creative analysis to customers at the direction of senior analysts.
• Wood Mackenzie is committed to supporting the development and success of its staff members. We value different points of view and strive to create a welcoming environment that promotes variety and creates an impression of unity.
• The chosen applicant will be anticipated to spend the bulk of their time operating from an office since this position is office-based.
• Because the team is worldwide, a few adjustments in working hours will be required to accommodate for different time zones.
The position is best suited for a highly qualified recent graduate or early-career professional who has a strong aptitude for quantitative analysis and modelling, is passionate about understanding the most recent trends in the energy industry, and is looking for a career as an acknowledged power sector expert in the area of energy transition. The following features, qualifications, and experience will be needed of the selected applicant:
- High aptitude and interest in power market modelling and analysis. The applicant who is selected will be given relevant on-the-job training.
- 1-2 years of higher education or professional work functioning in an analytical role at a university or for a power and renewables company. For this position, having a solid understanding of the power market’s technologies, rules, economies, and firms is highly advantageous.
- Enthusiasm, curiosity, willingness to put in work and advance knowledge and abilities, as well as the capacity to take on difficult problems and reevaluate received wisdom.
- A bachelor’s degree in an area such as engineering, physics, economics, finance, or another topic that is appropriate. An advanced degree is preferred but not necessary.
- Strong Excel proficiency and data management expertise Strong organisational, planning, and time management abilities.
- Strong organisation, planning and time management skills.
- Effective writing and presentation skills.
- Strong attention to details.
- Business-level fluency in Japanese and English, both spoken and written.